Top English Poems

DEAREST

You've always been a wonderful friend
And the older I get the more I've grown
To appreciate you as the person you are...
When you share your experiences,
Feelings, and insights with me
I realize how lucky I am
To have such a wise, caring friend...

And I feel something else
That's very special between us...
The deep understanding
That links friends heart to heart
That let's us laugh and cry together
That leads us to listen and learn
And count and depend on each other...

Because you're one of my Dearest Friends
Because you give so freely of yourself
Because we share so much
And because you are my very Dear Friend...

I wanted To Take This Time To Say...


Thank You Dear Friend Just For Being You!


-----


How Do I Love Thee

How do I love thee Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning


-----

Meeting at Night

The grey sea and the long black land;
And the yellow half-moon large and low;
And the startled little waves that leap
In fiery ringlets from their sleep,
As I gain the cove with pushing prow,
And quench its speed i' the slushy sand.
Then a mile of warm sea-scented beach;
Three fields to cross till a farm appears;
A tap at the pane, the quick sharp scratch
And blue spurt of a lighted match,
And a voice less loud, thro' its joys and fears,
Than the two hearts beating each to each!

- Robert Browning


-----



My Angel

My Angel ever at my side
how lovely you must be -
To leave your home in heaven,
to guard someone like me.

When I'm far away from home,
or maybe hard at work
I know you will protect me,
from harm along the way.

Your beautiful and shining face,
I see not, though you're near
The sweetness of your lovely voice,
I cannot really hear.

When I pray, you're praying too,
your prayer is just for me.
But, when I sleep you never do,
You're watching over me.


-----


Nobody Knows

nobody knows its empty
the smile without u i wear
the real one is left in the past
because u hav left me there

nobody knows when i cry
they dont even see my tears
when they think that i am laughing
i still wish that u were here

nobody knows its painfull
they think that i am strong
they think that i wont miss u
but i wonder if they were wrong

nobody knows i am praying
they dont know what's in my mind
they think that i will let u go
when u are left behind

nobody knows i miss u
they think i feel set free
but i feel like i am fully bound with it
sweetly trapped in mystery

no body knows how i need u
they say i can do it on my own
but they dont know how i miss u
when i am all alone


-----


A Rose For Rose ~
Author Unknown





Red roses were her favorites, her name was also Rose.
And every year her husband sent them, tied with pretty bows.
The year he died, the roses were delivered to her door;
The card said, "Be my Valentine", like all the years before.



Each year he sent her roses, and the note would always say,
"I love you even more this year, than last year on this day.
My love for you will always grow, with every passing year."
She knew this was the last time that the roses would appear.



She thought, he ordered roses in advance before this day.
Her loving husband did not know, that he would pass away.
He always liked to do things early, way before the time.
Then, if he got too busy, everything would work out fine.



She trimmed the stems, and placed them in a very special vase.
Then, sat the vase beside the portrait of his smiling face.
She would sit for hours, in her husband's favorite chair.
While staring at his picture, and the roses sitting there.



A year went by, and it was hard to live without her mate.
With loneliness and solitude that had become her fate.
Then, the very hour, as on Valentines before,
The doorbell rang and there were roses, sitting by her door.



She brought the roses in and then just looked at them in shock.
Then, went to get the telephone, to call the florist shop.
The owner answered and she asked him if he would explain,
Why would someone do this to her, causing her such pain?



"I know your husband passed away more than a year ago",
The owner said, "I knew you'd call and you would want to know.
The flowers you received today were paid for in advance.
Your husband always planned ahead, he left nothing to chance.
There is a standing order that I have on file down here,
And he has paid well in advance. You'll get them every year.
There also is another thing that I think you should know,
He wrote a special little card... he did this years ago.
Then should ever I find out that he's no longer here,
That's the card that should be sent to you the following year."



She thanked him and hung up, her tears now flowing hard.
Her fingers shaking as she slowly reached to get the card.
Inside the card she saw that he had written her a note.
Then as she stared in total silence, this is what he wrote...



"Hello my love, I know it's been a year since I've been gone.
I hope it hasn't been too hard for you to overcome.
I know it must be lonely, and the pain is very real,
For if it was the other way, I know how I would feel.
The love we shared made everything so beautiful in life,
I loved you more than words can say. You were the perfect wife.
You were my friend and lover. You fulfilled my every need.
I know it's only been a year, but please try not to grieve.
I want you to be happy, even when you shed your tears.
That is why the roses will be sent to you for years.
When you get these roses, think of all the happiness,
That we had together and how both of us were blessed.
I have always loved you and I know I always will.
But, my love, you must go on, you have some living still.
Please...try to find happiness, while living out your days.
I know it is not easy, but I hope you find some ways.
The roses will come every year, and they will only stop,
When your door's not answered, when the florist stops to knock.
He will come five times that day, in case you have gone out.
But after his last visit, he will know without a doubt,
To take the roses to the place, where I've instructed him,
And place the roses where we are, together once again."


-----


I AM SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU

Letting my thoughts
go free like the spring
breeze, they are filled
with happiness, desire,
love and flow with
great ease

So lucky am I to have
so much in my life
when others have only
worry, illness and strife

To wake up and know
that someone loves you
has to be the best thing
in the world to know

Good fortune has been
given to me having you
by my side
Letting me be with you
along for this
wonderful wild
ride

I am so blessed
this I can clearly see
and I thank the stars
sparkling above
for you and me


-----


Valentine Song

Dearest, let these roses
In their purity,
Be a present symbol
Of my love for thee.
Underneath the blossom
Thorns are sure to grow;
Take heed lest you touch them,
They would pain you so!

Ah! my faults like thorns are,
But cannot they be
Hidden 'neath the flower
Of my love for thee?

- Robert Argyle Campbell


-----


My Love,

I'm so grateful to have you in my life,

I am able to share my minutes of precious life with you,

You carry special warmth,

A special love that begins in your heart,

Travels throughout you soul and leaves you with a glows in your face,

So each time you smile you're able to light a room with the beauty of your smile

You’re so gentle when you touch me

Everything you do you do with your heart,

And this is why I love you.

You listen to me when I speak whether what I say makes sense or not.

You listen to my hopes and my dreams and you empower with your belief, so I may reach them one day.

And all your faith means so much,

And all of this I know you care

I know your love is true

You never try to change me

You accept me for who I am

If you see me walking a wrong road you always redirect me and show me the right road to walk.

You are such a special person,

I will always love you and admire all that you do

No body is more wonderful than you,

I am lucky to have you,

I am blessed each day with your presence.

And for this my love.

This is why I love you.


-----


Sonnet 18

Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough windes do shake the darling buds of Maie,
And Summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometimes too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd,
And every faire from faire some-time declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course untrim'd:
But thy eternall Summer shall not fade,
Nor loose possession of that faire thou ow'st,
Nor shall death brag thou wandr'st in his shade,
When in eternall lines to time thou grow'st,
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

- Willaim Shakespeare


-----



Somebody cares

If you're happy today,
If your heart
Is cheerful and light.

Somebody cares
If you're feeling good
And everything's
Going just right.



And somebody hopes
That this message will show,
In a warm little
Heart-To-Heart way...

You're thought of,
Remembered,
And happily wished
An especially wonderful day!


-----


When You Love Someone

Author: Preppie

When you love someone so deep inside,
It seems like it's so easy to hide.
You've loved him for so very long,
You would think he could do no wrong.

Every day you would hope and pray,
That he would always stay this way.
He treated you like you should be treated,
You thought your life was finally completed.

You thought your love was growing true,
And then one day it was all so blue.
He started putting you down and it hurt,
You thought all you were to him was dirt.

He started ignoring you and you wondered why,
All you wanted to do was curl up and die.
You thought your relationship would never end,
But that was all so fake and pretend.

One night he was so sweet to you,
You thought all those things were maybe untrue,
Two days later he was back the same,
You thought you were the one to blame.

He thought the relationship was getting too serious
And that you had become a little too curious.
By this time you knew it wouldn't last,
All the nice things he said were in the past.

You thought that you would marry him some day,
But this time God wanted to get his way.
You wanted things back how they were before,
But you knew this couldn't happen anymore.

It was a Saturday night about ten o'clock,
You heard the news and it wasn't a shock.
You knew this was going to happen soon,
As you laid there and cried in the pale lit moon.


-----


Love's Secret

Never seek to tell thy love,
Love that never told can be;
For the gentle wind doth move
Silently, invisibly.
I told my love, I told my love,
I told her all my heart,
Trembling, cold, in ghastly fears.
Ah! she did depart!

Soon after she was gone from me,
A traveller came by,
Silently, invisibly:
He took her with a sigh.

- William Blake


-----


Remember Me

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

- Christina Rossetti


-----


So close ... Yet so far ....


I keep on thinking your mad
I'd rather be dead
Was it something I did
That you just hid
Everytime I think
I think of you
Everytime I blink
I don't know what to do
I wish I could help you
But I don't know how
You know I love you
Even now
I sometimes cry
Sometimes for you
I'm sorry to pry
I just don't know what to do
I don't know how to help you
Which makes me mad
I feel very uselsee
Which makes me sad
I love to talk to you
But theres no time in the day
I wish I could hug you
Please don't go away
I love you
Just stay another day


-----


Valentine's Day

You're a wonderful person
Who's so nice to know,
For you make others happy
Wherever you go...




The warm, thoughtful ways
You have set you apart,
As somebody special
Who's truly "all heart"...



No wonder you're wished
All the best things there are
And your loveliest
Valentine's Day so far!


-----


You Are Who You Are For A Reason ~

by Russell Kelfer
From The New York Times Best Selling Book
"The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren


You are who you are for a reason
You're part of an intricate plan.
You're a precious and perfect unique design,
Called God's special woman or man.



You look like you look for a reason.
Our God made no mistake.
He knit you together within the womb,
You're just what He wanted to make.



The parents you had were the ones He chose,
And no matter how you feel,
They were customed-designed with God's plan in mind,
And they bear the Master's seal.



No, that trauma you faced was not easy.
And God wept that it hurt you so;
But it was allowed to shape your heart
So that into His likeness you'd grow.



You are who you are for a reason,
You've been formed by the Master's rod.
You are who you are, beloved,
Because there is a God!.